Friday, April 18, 2014

Everything Haitian - Holy Week Salad and Gateau au Beurre (Butter Cake)

Last week was my birthday and I found a very well recommended Haitian cookbook that I told my husband that I wanted.  It is by far one of the best birthday gifts that I got.  The recipes and the possibilities are endless.  Since this is the week of Easter, I found a recipe that is called Holy Week Salad.  I was intrigued and come to find out my mother used to make it and that when I realized my love for beets.  When I eat it I realized how much I liked them, but it is a messy vegetable because I got stained cutting it. I realized why this salad is called Holy Week Salad, the beets represent the blood of Jesus. It was a simple salad but again a little time consuming.  See for yourself, the presentation was beautiful and when you mixed everything together you will see why it is called Holy Week Salad.




























Gateau au Beurre (Butter Cake)
I usually do not like frosted cake, but this time I decided to this because the filling is guava.  Ok it's not homemade, next time it will be.  It's a three layer cake, so I'm looking forward to eating it







You will have to wait until Easter to see the inside of the cake.
                                      Until next week. S&S

No comments:

Post a Comment