Friday, November 8, 2013

How about some SWEET?

Recently I was talking to my mom and out of the blue she told me that her dad was a baker.  He was an entrepreneur and he had an oven and he rented to other bakers in Haiti of all places.  How come I didn't know that before? 

"I like to cook, but I love to bake" that's what I tell people. Now I realized why I love to bake.  It's in the genes.   I remembered when I was 14, I baked my first cake.  It was a German chocolate cake, and instantly I fell in love with baking. Yeah, I learned how to cook the authentic Haitian dishes, but baking is an art.  Everything has to be almost perfect to achieve the right texture and of course taste.  All bakers can agree with me on that.  I had perfected many, many baked creations and this is one of my favorites. Some have called them Turtles, or Pixies, but I will call them Heavenly Turxies, lol.

It's everything I love in SWEET.  Milk chocolate, sorry dark chocolate lovers I tried, real caramel, and pecans. So simple and so satisfying. Ok, I hear you saying that's not a Haitian SWEET, no it's not.  Believe it or not the only Haitian SWEET I like is the cake.  There are only two SWEETS from Haiti that I've recently made.  One is called Pain Maiz(Corn Bread) and the other is Pain Patate(White Sweet Potato Bread).  Both are super SWEET and I only eat it when it's fresh out of the oven.   So, most if not all of my SWEETS have been my assimilation of the American culture.  You have, of course, cakes and so many variations.  Cheesecakes, cookies, candy, oh my!!!!

Just so you know I love to bake. After a hard two-days of being a substitute 
teacher, first graders and fifth graders, I came home today to bake my Heavenly Turxies just so I can post them for my new found followers.  Enjoy it tastes better than it look..........







No comments:

Post a Comment