Friday, March 21, 2014

Everything Haitian Diri a Jon Jon (Black Mushroom Rice)

East meets West or I can say East meets Haiti.  Black mushroom rice with shrimp and lima beans is time consuming and so worth the effort.  Another two-day process and takes about three hours to make.  Finding the black mushroom from Haiti is like black gold.  The one Caribbean supermarket doesn't even carry it anymore.  This was a gift sent all the way from New York via Haiti. I'm going to Haiti in May and I plan to find it and hopefully bring it back.  I will follow up on a later post.  I have to say other than white rice and pea soup, this is my second favorite rice dish.  Here we go:
Black Gold - Black mushroom


After soaking overnight






Now, doesn't that look like Shrimp Fried Rice!!!!!!!

Now for the Bonbon Sirop, well I tried another recipe, let's just say it wasn't worth taking a final picture.  I took a picture of what it should like and let's say I have a long way to go.

The real deal.  YUM!!!!! 

After mixing everything, it was soft, should not have been.  After baking, it was as hard as a rock.  Back to the drawing board!!
Until next week
S&S 


No comments:

Post a Comment