Friday, March 7, 2014

Everything Haitian - Sauce Pois (White Beans and Haitian Cake (part 2)

One of my all time favorite Haitian dishes is Sauce Pois with White Rice.  It's not as popular as the Red Beans and Rice, but what I love about it is the creaminess of the Pois.  The most popular version is with red kidney beans, or pinto beans, but I prefer the white northern beans. The authentic version of the Sauce Pois is vegetarian style.  The Sauce Pois is like a thick stew with well seasoned spices.  It is usually served with Haitian Chicken and for an additional flavor the sauce from the chicken is added on top of the Sauce Pois.  In November I catered for a friend and she wanted to taste the Sauce Pois.  That version was with the red kidney beans and my favorite is with the white northern beans:



So delicious.  I personally do not like really spicy Sauce Pois.  Cooking it with a whole habanero adds flavor without the heat.

Now for the Haitian Cake (part 2).  Same recipe different flavoring.  As you can see the cake is very flavoring sensitive, hence the marble color.  The next one will be the color that I'm looking for.  The taste is still heavenly:
Until next week
S&S


No comments:

Post a Comment