Friday, December 27, 2013

The end of Christmas and the beginning of a New Year, bittersweet and very promising.  This blog is in two-part.  I will attempt and will succeed in making puff pastry from scratch, hence the additional week to perfection.  I will be making Pate, it is a traditional appetizer that is always found at any Haitian festivities.  It is very time consuming and so worth the effort.  It is usually filled with spicy chicken, ground beef, and mouri ( or salt fish).  I will be making the chicken version.  I will create a vegetarian pate for the non-meat clients.

The authentic version is made with lard.  I love it freshly made, I don't like leftover pate made with lard.  If and when I make it, I will specify that it's made with lard and include the details of it.  I know most non-Caribbeans are not used to eating lard, so really perfecting the puff pastry with butter is crucial.  Here are some pictures of what Haitian pate looks like:



Not to be confused with Jamaican Beef Patties below:


It's all in the crust as you can see.  So this is my challenge for the next week, I hope it doesn't  turn into a three-parter. Wish me luck!!!!!
S&S


No comments:

Post a Comment